How does your company communicate their HR practices to employees? Are they clearly and consistently communicated?
You can respond to employee questions and requests as they are brought up, but why not have a universal tool that clearly defines company rules and facilitates the lives of managers?
Here are 5 reasons why an employee policy manual is a must-have for your company:
- A policy manual ensures equity. You systematically demonstrate that each employee is valued and that you are committed to treating your staff fairly.
- When policies are presented in an organized and concrete manner, you establish coherence and reduce the risk of misinterpretation and contradiction. Employees will better understand the company’s philosophy as well as other essential elements such as the employer’s expectations, the company’s benefits, the different internal procedures, and the health and safety rules.
- The manual is an excellent way to present useful information to new employees upon hire. It facilitates their integration and stimulates their engagement. As new players, there is nothing more comforting than to be given the rules of the game from the start.
- Your supervisors continually face situations that require fair decision making. The policy manual serves as a guideline that will help and support them in the application of company standards.
- In addition to helping protect companies from a legal perspective, certain policies can be required by law, such as a policy on psychological harassment. The policy manual will serve as a written proof of legal compliancy.
As recruitment and retention are becoming increasingly challenging, it will become vital for companies to ensure solid HR practices are in place. A structured work environment shows professionalism and equity within your company. A good way to start is to put in place a policy manual, or if one already exists, to keep it updated. This will serve as an indispensable reference point for both employees and management.